Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Fun with Contact Paper: The Sequel

Let’s just cut to the chase…you guys know I love horizontal stripes.  Shirts. Coasters. Curtains. And walls.

My boss/co-worker/friend recently bought a new condo and I’ve been helping here and there with some little projects.  After mentioning two or three or sixteen dozen times that she should do a horizontal striped wall {like I did in the Fall}, we finally got around to it last week!  We were armed only with a roll of contact paper, scissors, a pencil, and a yardstick.  {And my iPhone for some grainy pictures}

The Before…
The During…
{The white stripes are 7,” the grey are about 6.5”}  Pictured above is a minor detail I failed to display in my original tutorial {if you can call it that.}.  We cut the stripes just a touch too long so they rounded the wall…
And then ran a knife down the corner and peeled away the extra length for perfectly edged stripes! {We originally tried this lettuce cutter, but finally found an Exacto knife that worked much better}.
 
The After…
Tada!  Two of us working on this took about two hours.  Luckily, contact paper is extremely forgiving and can be peeled off a repositioned a few times, as needed.  I LOVE IT on this grey and still think it’s the world’s best way to spice up a wall—for renters and buyers alike!
 
So, has anyone else tried this yet??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

does humidity cause it to bubble at all? the paint on my walls in my bathroom does that.

Kate G. said...

Hey-- That is a great question! And I have no idea... The stripes at my house have been up for several months right by the front door and show absolutely no signs of budging. But I suspect bubbling is a possibility, especially higher up on the wall. You could always try a test piece for a week or two before you take the time to do the whole bathroom?

Sara said...

I'm so excited I got an entire post dedicated to my house!! What a great thing to come home to tonight. Thanks Kate for making my wall and house look amazing! Btw... I can't stop staring at it :)