Monday, May 9, 2011

Kentucky Derby: The Hats

WHEW!  What a weekend!  We rolled back into town late last night and headed straight into the work week this morning so I can’t even wrap my brain around everything that happened, much less form complete sentences about it.

Simply put, we had a blast.

It is going to take some time to sort through all of my pictures and I will likely have to break up the weekend events into a few posts, but for now I’m going to give you what you really want…

The hats.

05 07 11_5516b

05 07 11_5541

05 07 11_5545

05 07 11_5547This girl’s dress and hat were killer and I held my camera on her for a good five minutes waiting for her to turn around.  No dice.

05 07 11_551705 07 11_5539

05 07 11_5576

05 07 11_5592Love the fascinator on the woman in beige.

05 07 11_5594

One thing’s for sure… I would suck as a paparazzi.  I wouldn’t make a dime.  The derby is so crazy and there are people everywhere—no one is stopping and there is no time to stop and snap pictures.  So I did my best but it doesn’t even begin to encompass the hats we saw.  It was so fun.

05 07 11_5552b

And of course, my hat!  I found the perfect fabric, bought half a yard for $6, and fashioned the largest bow I could manage.  But here’s what I learned from my first time at the Derby… “The bigger the better” is only a theory.  It is not truth.  This hat was so big is became a huge nuisance navigating crowds and squeezing between the other patrons.  Every picture I have with Tyler is awkward because we couldn’t stand close together and it was social limiting because my eyes were always shielded and I was so far away from whoever I was trying to converse with I felt like I had to yell.  If you’re big into personal space, wear a huge hat.  Next time I’m going vertical!

But it looks pretty great in pictures, right??

The Kentucky Derby definitely earned its spot on my bucket list and I think everyone should experience it once in their life.  I can’t wait to tell you about it!

{For pictures of hats taken by people who know what they’re doing, go here…}

4 comments:

Abbie said...

OMG you look fantastic!! I'm so jealous that you were there!

I Do Declare said...

You look fantastic!!!!

Randy, Becky, and Halley said...

You do look fantastic and your hat looks tame in comparison to the others! :)

The Laughing Cow said...

Great! I have found the massive and extreme collection of the unique styled Derby hats. Specially, the design of these hats are really looking heart touching. Thanks for sharing some of great fun in this source.