Friday, October 15, 2010

Crafty CFriday

{Welcome to the third installment.}

You might think that after my husband told me, “I think you have a problem…” on my third straight project one afternoon OR after my sister-in-law called to tell me she had a dream where Tyler died and my method of coping was to just start doing a thousand projects {probably true, but hopefully not prophetic}, that I would scale back on all my DIY projects.  But no dice.

I guarantee if TGrass saw the cost difference between what is and what could be were I not so thrifty, he would definitely opt for the Crafty Cfridays {and Saturdays and Sundays…}.

So, here we go.  My latest projects

………………………………………….

My favorite as of late are my pillows for the living room sofa.  I initially made a solid burlap one.  I liked the look, but not the feel so I remade it with a burlap back and linen fabric on the front.

10 07 10_3815 10 07 10_3816

I found simple instructions online, cut all the pieces according to size, pulled out my sewing machine, and spent approximately 86.3 hours trying to thread the bobbin. 

I called my mom, who asked, “What kind of relationship do you have with a glue gun?” when she heard I was working with burlap.  When the Queen of All Things Sewing recommends a glue gun, you listen.  So I glued and there you have it.  I made two of them and it cost less than $10 in total. {Burlap = $3/yd and green linen = $7/yd, but I only needed 1/2 a yard.}

But I wasn’t done…

The point of making my own pillows is to save money so I can afford to have seasonal pillow covers.  And to make them seasonal, I wanted to paint leaf silhouettes on them.  I ended up going another route, but here’s what I came up with and how I got there…

DSC_0002 DSC_0003

I made my own stencils using blank stencil paper I bought for $3.  I printed a big “g” and a pear silhouette from the computer, traced it onto the stencil paper and cut it out with a craft knife.

DSC_0006

DSC_0011 DSC_0012

I chose a “g” when I saw this and a pear once I found the pillows behind them. {I scored at PB—they were on clearance, baby.}  And there you have it!  My $5 pillows…

………………………………………….

My next project, I SWEAR I did yesterday, before The Nester posted this today.  I’d seen the vinyls she featured and decided to do it myself using black contact paper (shelf liner).  I google image’d “bird silhouette” and found one I like, printed it, cut it out, and traced it backwards on the contact paper.

 DSC_0015 DSC_0017   DSC_0020 And there you have it!  It literally cost pennies to make… (I already had the candle jar.)  And I have a ton of contact paper left so the possibilities are endless…

………………………………………….

I also made that runner for my coffee table with the burlap left over from the pillows and painted on the design with a stencil and white fabric paint.

………………………………………….

So that’s it!  My next project is paint stripes on white curtains since I’m so into painting fabric right now and since all I seem to do these days is straight copy learn from The Nester (and I can’t seem to find fabric like this to safe my life…)

DSC_0213-550x364

Coming soon to a window near my kitchen table…

4 comments:

Corrie & Jared Terry said...

The pillows look amazing! I like the patterned pillows that you paired them with, too.

And, you are not going to believe this, but today I was thinking about doing a burlap runner for our coffee table, too.

Adam, April & Aidan said...

Oh my God, so I am literally giving burlap away over here. Haha. It is a B word to sew with! I am using fabric tape. Adam told me he feels like I am cheating on him with DIY projects. I will let you be the guinea pig of painted drapery before I try it myself? Could you hurry, I would like to get mine done by Sunday.

Rachel said...

I love burlap!!! Everything looks great!

Randy, Becky, and Halley said...

You are invited to come visit us in Marietta any time, my dear...